Monday, January 18, 2010

My Message

Opening song: Keith Green, “Asleep in the Light.”



There were tax collectors and other notorious sinners who often came to listen to Jesus teach. This made the Pharisees and teachers of religious law complain that he was associating with such sinful people—even eating with them!
So Jesus told them this story: “If a man has a hundred sheep and one of them gets lost, what will he do? Won’t he leave the ninety-nine others in the wilderness and go to search for the one that is lost until he finds it? And when he has found it, he will joyfully carry it home on his shoulders. When he arrives, he will call together his friends and neighbors, saying, ‘Rejoice with me because I have found my lost sheep.’ In the same way, there is more joy in heaven over one lost sinner who repents and returns to God than over ninety-nine others who are righteous and haven’t strayed away!
“Or suppose a woman has ten silver coins and loses one. Won’t she light a lamp and sweep the entire house and search carefully until she finds it? And when she finds it, she will call in her friends and neighbors and say, ‘Rejoice with me because I have found my lost coin.’ In the same way, there is joy in the presence of God’s angels when even one sinner repents.”
To illustrate the point further, Jesus told them this story: “A man had two sons. The younger son told his father, ‘I want my share of your estate now before you die.’ So his father agreed to divide his wealth between his sons. “A few days later this younger son packed all his belongings and moved to a distant land, and there he wasted all his money in wild living.

About the time his money ran out, a great famine swept over the land, and he began to starve. He persuaded a local farmer to hire him, and the man sent him into his fields to feed the pigs. The young man became so hungry that even the pods he was feeding the pigs looked good to him. But no one gave him anything.

“When he finally came to his senses, he said to himself, ‘At home even the hired servants have food enough to spare, and here I am dying of hunger! I will go home to my father and say, “Father, I have sinned against both heaven and you, and I am no longer worthy of being called your son. Please take me on as a hired servant.”’
“So he returned home to his father. And while he was still a long way off, his father saw him coming. Filled with love and compassion, he ran to his son, embraced him, and kissed him. His son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against both heaven and you, and I am no longer worthy of being called your son.’
“But his father said to the servants, ‘Quick! Bring the finest robe in the house and put it on him. Get a ring for his finger and sandals for his feet. And kill the calf we have been fattening. We must celebrate with a feast, for this son of mine was dead and has now returned to life. He was lost, but now he is found.’
(Luke Chapter 15)
As Christians, most of us have heard these stories. We hear them as children in Sunday school and again from the pulpit. They are great stories about God’s love and how He cares for the lost. As Christians, most of us say we have no problem caring for the lost or showing God’s love to sinners, but what does that mean? What are we doing that proves that? Is just saying it enough? Is that all Jesus requires us to do? Jesus didn’t just “say” He cared, He left the 99 sheep to search for the one who was lost, and when He found him, what did He do? He carried him. He lit a lamp and swept the house carefully until he found the lost coin, and when He found it, He rejoiced.
If you notice, most Christians tend to hang out with other Christians. We naturally socialize with people who share our interests, views and are like us. We feel uncomfortable around those who are different from us, and we are taught not to socialize with the unrighteous or ungodly.
But I see Jesus doing just the opposite. The Pharisees and teachers who taught the law were upset because Jesus was associating, and even eating with some notorious sinners.
All through the Bible we see Jesus doing things that seem odd. He defends a woman caught in adultery. He hangs out with a prostitute. If you notice, He usually chooses the outcast.
Defending an Adulterer, hanging out with a prostitute, befriending an outcast, we wouldn’t think of it! So I ask you, why do we call ourselves followers of Christ if we don’t follow in His footsteps?
What did Jesus mean when He said, “the harvest is great, but the workers are few?” Matthew 9:37

Jesus commands us to go (Keith Green)


Jesus said in Matthew 15:13 “You (Christians) are the salt of the earth. But what good is salt if it has lost its flavor? It will be thrown out and trampled underfoot as worthless.
And that is just how the world see’s us, worthless. Why? Because we say we care, but our actions, reactions and lack of actions prove that we have lost our flavor. We have lost sight of what Jesus came to do. Most of us can quote John 3:16 at the drop of a hat, but who can quote John 3:17? “For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.”
Galatians 6:1-3 says, “brothers and sisters, if anyone is overcome by some sin, you who are Godly should gently and humbly help that person back onto the right path. And be careful not to fall into the same temptation yourself. Share each other’s burdens, and in this way obey the law of Christ. If you think you are too important to help someone, you are only fooling yourself. You are not that important.

You may be wondering where I am going with this message. I have a heavy burden on my heart, and as difficult as this may be for me, I can no longer remain quite. Some of you may shun me and turn me away, but that’s okay, I am more concerned about those who are lost than those who choose to reject me. You don’t have to love me.

20 years ago, I lost my mom to cancer. She said something to me that I will never forget. She told me she thanked God she had cancer. I could not understand how she could be thankful for the pain and suffering she had to endure. She said if God had not allowed her to have cancer, she would never have had the opportunity to meet those she met who were dying. She would not have been able to relate to the suffering, loneliness, and fear so many felt. As a healthy Christian, she probably would not have taken the time to care for the sick and dying. So she was grateful to have been chosen to hold the hands of strangers as their lives were coming to an end. It was because of her sickness that many lives were touched and changed. She could have chosen to feel sorry for herself and been angry at God for allowing the life of a 45 year old woman to end so soon. But she realized that God needed her to do something, to reach those no one cared for, and she was willing to go.
I understand now what she meant. God has allowed me to suffer in a different way. I have spent many years full of anger, frustration, bitterness and hatred towards the Church and Christians. But those feelings have turned to compassion. I realized that maybe God needed me to experience extreme rejection, and abuse to bring to the place God where He needed me to be. I needed to learn that reaching people who were outcasts was more important to God than blending in with a group of Christians who do nothing to reach out to the lost. He chose me to feel the pain and rejection so I could understand and relate to those in need. Like mom, God allowed me to choose what to do with my pain. I could become bitter, or I could show compassion to those who are hurting just like me.

Keith Green, Open Your Eyes


As a child, I was sexually violated by a few family members. I remember the first incident when I was around 4 years old. This continued for many years. At the age of 5, I met a classmate who was also being molested. Neither of us talked about it, but we became sexually involved with each other all through our school years. In the late 60’s and early 70’s there wasn’t as much talk about sexual molestation as there is today. I was a child, I didn’t know that what was happening to me was wrong. I didn’t even know what the word homosexual meant until I was in 7th grade. I heard the word and asked my mom what it meant. She said they were evil people that went to hell.
As I reached High School age, I became aware that I was sexually attracted to the other guys in school. I never told anyone about the struggle I was having inside. My high school years were full of pain and rejection as most people made fun of me. It didn’t help by having a father who had no interest in me, and only spoke to me when he wanted to tell me how stupid and worthless I was.
I went on co-op my senior year in High School. My boss paid a lot of attention to me. He was always looking out for me. He invited me to Church with his wife and kids. I got close enough to Keith that I felt I could confide in him about what I was feeling inside. When I spoke to him, he told me he felt the same way, and it became a sexual encounter. I remember being terrified and thinking that God was going to kill me on my way home.
I secretly struggled with my sexual attraction for many years. There were times when I wished I could talk to my mom about what was going on in my life, but I just couldn’t bring myself to do it. Mom was a very compassionate person, and she never judged any one, but I knew if I told her, it would have broken her heart. She was suffering with cancer and I didn’t want to cause her any more pain. I remember her last week. We had many conversations. We shed a lot of tears together. I remember two of our conversations. She asked me who was number one in my life. I said, “you are mom.” She said, “Danny, I can’t be because I’m not always going to be with you, but God will never leave you or forsake you.” Then she proceeded to tell me that God showed her what was going to happen in each of her children’s lives because she was not going to be here to see it. When I asked her what she saw, she said, “I can’t tell you because you would not believe me.” She said, “all I can tell you is that you are talking to crowds of people.” A few days mom passed away.
In desperation, I turned to the Church. I confided in the Pastor, I was told I was one of those unlovables. I went to another Church, I was told I have committed the ultimate rebellion against God. Another Pastor told me that I literally make God want to vomit. I continued searching. More Pastors, more Christians. I even moved out of town at the advice of a Christian friend. I was told I made my bed now lie in it. One Pastor told his church it was okay to pray for me but no one should get close to me. I literally wrote to hundreds of churches looking for help. I have had Christian friends tell me they could no longer be my friend. One suggested that I buy Playboy magazines and look at them every day until I start lusting after women. I had a Pastor come to my home personally to tell me I was not welcome in his church.
Of course, I have met some who agreed to meet with me and offered some kinds words, but when I asked for help they were nowhere to be found.
I never asked any Pastor, Church or Christian to accept homosexuality, I only asked for help, but the doors were always closed.
I could have very easily turned to a church that supported and affirmed homosexuality as a lifestyle that God approved, but I did not. Instead, I turned to the Bible for the answers I needed. Yes, I have made a lot of wrong choices along the way. But I also found the Jesus my mom knew, He is so unlike most Christians I know. He was full of compassion.
Matthew 6:34 says, “And Jesus, when he came out, saw much people, and was moved with compassion toward them, because they were as sheep not having a shepherd: and he began to teach them many things.
There are many references to God showing compassion. He wasn’t looking at what sin’s people had. He was the shepherd for the lost. It doesn’t say He judged them because of their sins, it says He was moved with compassion and He taught them many things.
Why did the woman who was caught in adultery follow Jesus? Because He did not condemn her and, He showed her compassion. She followed Him willingly because of his words and actions even though she knew she was wrong. How do you think she would have reacted if Jesus would have thrown the first stone?
Unfortunately, most Christians throw stones. What we don’t realize is that throwing stones doesn’t only apply to those who reject and judge other’s, it also applies to those who stand by and do nothing.

Keith Green, Go to the Hungry Ones


The Bible teaches us that there is no sin greater than another. James 2:10 says, “If you obey all the Laws but one, you are as guilty as the one who has broken them all.”
There are many men and women who struggle with homosexual attractions. Many of them want help but are afraid to open their mouth. They struggle secretly and live in fear of being found out. These feelings are not a choice, but they are a reality. People can only take so much rejection until they give up and find acceptance somewhere. They will find acceptance, and unfortunately, most of them will find it outside of the Church. It is sad, because Jesus Himself said in Mark 2:17, ““Healthy people don’t need a doctor—sick people do. I have come not to call those who think they are righteous, but those who know they are sinners.”
The Church is so full of people who think they are righteous and they are not allowing sinners to come in! How do we ever expect the world to come to Christ? We are nothing like Him!
We are so involved in our own lives. We are concerned about our possessions, our jobs, and the pleasures of life. There are so many people caught up in the doctrine of “prosperity”, and it makes me sick. We focus on things that will not last. God doesn’t care how much money you have, how big your home is, what your title is at work or how popular you are. No matter how rich and famous you are, it won’t last. When you die, all you will have is a box, and you will be in it. The only thing that will matter at that point is what did you do with God, and what did you do for Him. I hope your answer isn’t going to be “nothing.”
How can we as Christians reject anyone because of a sin in their life? There is no one who is righteous, no not one. (Romans 3:10)
I have had my share of rejection, and I don’t want to see anyone have to go through all I had to. It is not necessary. It is the Churches responsibility to find the lost sheep, to carefully search for the lost coin, and welcome home the Prodigal son. But it doesn’t stop there, more importantly, we need to care for them and show compassion. You are the representative of Jesus Christ, what does your Jesus look like?
I want Christians who are willing to be a friend to homosexuals, who will invite them into your home, to love them and show them who Jesus really is. Many of them will be able to tell you horror stories about how they were treated as a child, how they were mistreated by their families and their Church. Many of them are hurting, they need your love. They need your compassion and most importantly, like all of us, they need Jesus.
I know this is a lot to ask of you. But I am not going to leave you stranded to figure it out on your own. I understand your fear, and I understand you may be uncomfortable, that is why I am here. I will be having a weekly meeting for all of those who are interested in helping with this ministry. During those weeks, I will be open to any questions you may have. I will lay my life out in the open. We will discuss what the Bible says concerning homosexuality, and what is being taught within the “gay” church communities. I am not perfect, I have many faults and struggles, but I can’t make it alone, I admit I am weak and I need your support. We just need to be able to look beyond the faults of others and see their need.
Jesus asked Peter, “Do you love me” he replied Yes, Lord you know I love you, Jesus said, “then feed my sheep.”
Do you love Jesus?
If you do, will you help me find my lost friends?

Keith Green, “here am I, send me”

2 comments:

  1. I loved reading this. Thank you for encouraging us not to throw stones, but to extend a hand to all those "people sinking down," as Keith Green said. I know that, through your words, the Lord will empower other Christians to love and support the gay community.

    This is the first step in Nana's vision being fulfilled!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up the good work! I continue to pray for you and I will support you however I can.

    ReplyDelete